News of the TWB Scientific Advisory Board
The TWB Scientific Advisory Board consists of 9 members who annually examine the different research projects led by TWB. During its last meeting on October in Toulouse, it welcomed a new member, Uwe T. Bornscheuer, and appointed the new chairwoman, Merja Penttilä.
The Scientific Advisory Board was set up when TWB was created in 2012. Its goal is to give an advise on the scientific quality and relevance of research projects (excluding industrial projects) managed and supported by TWB.
The committee is composed of nine renowned international researchers.
Following the departure of Rolf Schmid (Professor at the University of Stuttgart, CEO Steinbeis Asia Technology Consulting) who was a member and chairman of the Committee since 2012, Professor Uwe T. Bornscheuer joined the committee and Professor Merja Penttilä was appointed as chairperson.
Uwe T. Bornscheuer is a professor at the University of Greifswald (Germany) in biotechnology and enzyme catalysis.
Merja Penttilä is a professor at the VTT and the University of Aalto (Finland), specialising in industrial biotechnology and synthetic biology.
The current composition of the Scientific Advisory Board is as follows:
- Uwe T. BORNSCHEUER – Professor University of Greifswald – Germany
- Rajni HATTI-KAUL – Professor University of Lund, Sweden
- Bruno JARRY – President of the French Academy of Technology, France
- Jay KEASLING – Professor University of Berkeley, USA – Director of the Joint BioEnergy Institute, Emeryville
- Akihiko KONDO – Professor University of Kobe, Japan – Head « Innovative Biotechnology Kobe (iBioK) »
- Merja PENTTILÄ – Professor Biotechnology Bioproducts, Finland – VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland
- Carles SOLA – Professor University Autonomous of Barcelona, Spain – Former Minister of Universities and Research, Catalan Government
- John WOODLEY – Professor DTU Copenhagen, Denmark
- Huimin ZHAO – Centennial Chair Professor University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA.